Gummy smile treatment in India
A gummy smile is a highly subjective diagnosis that shows tremendous variability over dental and non-dental populations. When patients identify gingival display as an area of concern, a restorative dentist has to be able to determine the etiology prior to investigating treatment options. The gingival level is the gingiva to lip relationship. A study conducted by Dr. Turner, asked a group of lay people, orthodontists and general practitioners what they thought about acceptable gingiva levels for smiles. The results are somewhat surprising.
Lay people: Those who were not professionals viewed the threshold at 3mm; when the gums hit the 3 mm mark they rated the smile as less attractive.
Orthodontists: Orthodontists rated their threshold at 2 mm, the strictest requirement in the study group.
General practitioners: Surprisingly, the threshold for GPs was 4 mm, the most lenient of the study group.
The important question is:
When do we treat a gummy smile?
When it bothers the patient. The ideal target is to get somewhere under 3mm for patients who desire to change their smiles. Before treatment, it’s necessary to understand exactly what causes a gummy smile. There are at least seven different causes, and if you don’t diagnose the cause correctly, you’re going to pick the wrong treatment for your patients.
The Seven Causes
- Gummy smiles with dental patients short upper lip (if a patient has an extremely short upper lip it’s not going to cover gingiva and their upper teeth)
- Hypermobile lip (lip moves too much).
- Vertical maxillary excess VME (short ramus and overgrowth of maxilla).
- Anterior over-eruption (excess overbite).
- Wear and compensatory eruption.
- Altered active eruption (the teeth don’t make it out of bone).
- Altered passive eruption (gingiva doesn’t recede as the person matures).
Three Traditional Methods for Treating a Gummy Smile
- Orthodontics: Intrudes over erupted teeth and levels them to correct position so that it eliminates gingival display.
- Periodontal surgery: Crown lengthening to move gingival levels apically, typically performed on short teeth.
- Orthognathic surgery: Moves the maxilla in an apical direction impacting the maxilla.
For instances when these traditional methods of treatment won’t work, such as a patient has a hypermobile lip, there are a couple of
- Botox: Studies suggest Botox, when injected into the muscles of the upper lip can to be an effective method; however, the improvement is temporary and must be repeated every three to six months.
- Lip repositioning surgery: Severs the muscles that elevate the lip so it can no longer rise as far in a smile. An irreversible solution diagnosis is the key to a successful outcome.
Porcelain Laminate Veneers are the most popular modem of Cosmetic dentistry, to create spectacular smiles in the most conservative way .This technique mastered by Dr. Turners Cosmetic And Restorative Centers have created smiles for people of all ages and also the Bollywood stars and starlets. Dr.Turner in all his presentations wherever he travels urges the need for conservative Ceramic veneer preparations , because a veneer bonded to minimally touched enamel has a bond that will last you a lifetime. Infact studies have shown that when a veneer is bonded to enamel the bond is as strong as your natural, enamel to dentin bond and in some cases it even strengthens the tooth.
Porcelain veneers at Dr. Turners Aesthetic Dental Centers are artistically crafted ultra-thin shells that are bonded to the fronts of your teeth in order to create your perfect smile. Dr.Turner has churned out over a whopping 10,000 veneers from their Dental Cosmetic Centers. Each veneer case is unique and their passion to perfect your look goes a long way in the outcome of your final smile. We put a lot of time, effort, and artistic talent into designing porcelain veneers that are durable and look naturally brilliant.
Just about any smile imperfections can be corrected and perfected with the magic of porcelain veneers.
- Stains and discoloration
- Chips or cracks
- Spaces or gaps
- Misalignment/crooked teeth
- Odd shape
Porcelain veneers may be the most aesthetically pleasing and conservative way to enhance the appearance of a smile. Although they are not the only solution for fixing tooth imperfections, they are a remarkable way to improve beauty without compromising much of the natural tooth structure.
We love the way our patients look and feel and flaunt their new smile with élan after their new with porcelain veneers. These patients cherish their smiles forever!
Gummy Smile treatment in India for that wonderful smile
- What is a gummy smile?
A “Gummy Smile”, are more than the gum tissue is shown and it is not appropriate to the gum to the tooth.
The people who have this have to face a lot of embarrassment and they feel very embarrassing when they smile, and generally loss a lot of self confidence.
The people who are having this they sometimes feel if there is any medical way of making there gum look attractive.
Now, The Science is so fast that the Dentist can make our smile attractive.
So the good news is that there is a way to correct your gummy smile, so that you can smile normally again and do not feel self-esteemed.
The way of correcting our gums proper can be done by a simple method , as dentistry is nowadays so advanced and popular that the gummy smile can be done by periodontal plastic surgery procedures.
This surgical procedure is painless and doesn’t harm you , and you will be amazed at the results it shows.
- Causes of Gummy Smile?
There are various reasons as to causes of a gummy smile.
- Certain medications cause gummy smile like(Dilantin, Cyclosporine, and numerous calcium channel blockers)or overgrowth of gum tissue (hyperplasia)
- Gummy smile(hyperplasia) due to orthodontic treatment
- Because of poor oral hygiene inflammation in the gums, gum disease are faulty restorations
- Metabolic disorders , congenital gingival enlargement from hereditary
- Variation & development of the upper jaw
- Hyperactive upper lip rise in upper lip higher than normal(high lip line)
- Dental malocclusion
- Exostosis condition of excessive bone growth on the out surface of the upper
- Types of Gummy Smiles
There are also different types of gummy smiles faces which is according to the gummy smile scale.
The scale measures the amount and the percentage of gingival tissue according to the tooth height .
That means that your gummy smile is based on our our gum height which describes the tooth of our gum
Gummy smiles can be severe, mild moderate or advanced.
- Mild Gummy Smile
When your smiling the length of the teeth should be less than 25% then it will be considered as a mild gummy smile.
- Moderate Gummy Smile
If the amount of the gum tissue is displayed around 25% to 50% then it is considered as a moderate gummy smile .
- Advanced Gummy Smile
If gum tissue is displayed between 50% to 100% then it would be considered as an advanced gummy smile.
- Severe Gummy Smile
If the gum tissue is having the length 100% or more than 100% then it will be considered as severe gummy smile.